Thursday, July 2, 2009

My birds left......

In the spring of this year, I had a robin who was determined to build a nest on my front porch.
I was just as determined not to let her. She was trying to build in the frame work near the chairs. Each day I would take down the nest she had started - and each day she would start over. I finally thought I had her beat until I came home after being gone one weekend. Miss Robin had built a beautiful nest IN my hanging basket on the porch. I thought - ok......you won crazy bird.
Tanner and Makayla thought it was great. They would watch her fly in and out of the porch - they checked the basket often. One day - there were 4 blue eggs in her nest. We were always very careful not to touch the eggs or the nest. It wasn't long until she had baby birds. Only 3 eggs hatched but - 3 was enough for the small nest. The kids (especially Makayla) checked the nest almost everyday to see how much the birds had grown.
Yesterday I came home from work and thought - I haven't checked on those birds in about 4 days. I touched the basket and out flew 3 young birds. Obvously their mother has been giving them flying lessons because they flew very well!! I looked again this morning and they haven't come back - I feel bad that I scared them off but .......it must have been their time to go.
Tanner & Makayla will be disappointed when they get home (they are gone for 2 weeks with their father) to see the birds have left.
Maybe next year - we'll have baby birds again!

Pictures to be posted soon.

No comments: